Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Helmet Ride


By Sanket ‘got lid on’ Kambli

Vega! That is the brand of my helmet.

It has Mild Seven (Renault F1 team style) graphics, with alonso’s name gracing it.

So out I went for my first ride with a helmet.

Removed my specs, slid the helmet on my head, after a little push.

The helmet was snug, flipped open the visor, wore my specs, and flipped the visor back.

Sat on the bike, from that moment itself the inexperience of helmet use was evident while riding, with this being my first helmet.

The field of vision narrowed, objects that could have been viewed without moving my head, required me to do some neck movements. And my excellent idea of going out for this ride at night didn’t make matters any easy for me.

But all those thoughts were quickly banished after self-starting my bike.

The beat!!! It’s addictive.

The riding difference was different as compared to helmet-less riding, but the biggest difference was the response of wind resistance to my helmet. As the speed raced beyond 35kmph, I could hear a distinct whoosh-whoosh, initially I was unsettled, but after it registered in my mind that it was just wind, I was relaxed.

The fact is that every ride on a bike is a new experience. And wearing helmets is definitely cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great blog entry after sooo many days :)

I hope youngsters reading your blog, would wear helmets while riding their bikes.