Saturday, September 09, 2006

Lage Raho Munnabhai: A short review

By Sanket ‘bole toh writer’ Kambli

I missed approximately 15 minutes of the show, but I believe it wouldn't drastically change my opinion about the movie. In a nutshell the movie is about munna (a.k.a. Sanjubaba) and his experience with gandhism, which he encounters while he is busy courting Janhavi (a.k.a. Vidya Balan). In terms of acting, Vidya doesn't have much work, while sanjubaba is excellent at being munnabhai. Jimmy Shergill, like in the first movie, shows up as a guy in peril. While dia mirza has a tiny role, Jr. Bacchan has an even tinier role. Still I feel this movie would have been incomplete without stellar performances from arshad warsi and booman irani.Their performances may or may not win awards, but warsi as circuit and irani as a punju guy were just perfect. The fact that this movie tries to tell people about the existence of a path of honesty and peace,
the one propagated by Gandhiji, puts this movie in the league of rang de basanti.
Though this movie has its share of well-timed witty jokes, many guys would call this movie more emotional than its first edition. Fortunately nothing is overdone.
To conclude, it is a funny, short, and enjoyable movie for everyone, albeit with a social message.
I recommend you to watch this movie, at least once, you won't regret it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um.....I haven't watched this movie yet. If it does becomes a cynosure while I'm having my dinner on cable tv, I may watch it.

Rest assured, your blog is being read, by me atleast :).