Sunday, May 22, 2005

Stuff I wrote for my college campus newspaper

Chill Out!!!!!!

Sanket ‘Serve Chilled’ Kambli

As I sit in the voices cabin staring at the PC screen, thinking what to write (type), while the powerful A/C behind me is busy, trying to freeze me. I eventually decided to write about the thing on mind ‘COLD’, No! Not about the! EVIL A/C! bent on freezing me, but the drop in temperatures in our city. We all must have experienced the unusual dip in temperatures, leading to cool nights, and shivering mornings. Well, the fact that I don’t see snow anywhere, except in my old (No! Defrost) freezer, is proof that things aren’t worse here. But what the heck, we Mumbaiker’s need only a tiny reason to flaunt, so out come all the woolies; sweaters, jackets(esp. leather ones), and other assorted winter wear falling short of gloves. Students with early morning classes feel the brunt, as mornings tend to be chilly. And in classrooms, the person who wants the fan turned on gets looks, as if he has colored his hair green. Our reliably non reliable Meteorological Dept. attributes this climate to ‘some’ pressure in ‘some’ zone due to ‘some’ winds blowing in ‘some’ abnormal way; here ‘some’ refers to things we had heard in out geography text books. You know what I like about these nippy winters? Not only does the temperature fall but even my electric bill sees a rare drop, thanks to almost no usage of the A/C. Well this winter sure brings some mixed responses, mostly negative. But it seems like everyone is slowly adjusting to this new cool climate, and all the complaints are subsiding. And with winter nearing its end (OK it’s not so near!), some want to enjoy the cooling effect of this climate, as long as it lasts. Well have fun, as I cannot wait here any longer, so I sign off, ADIOS.

No comments: