Sunday, May 22, 2005

Stuff I wrote for my college campus newspaper - 2

Crossover

Sanket ‘slow local’ Kambli

No I am not talking about any crossover movies, hell! I am not even talking about movies. I am talking about something which we encounter almost every day. Here I am dealing with issue of ‘crossing the railway tracks’. Now don’t move on to the next article, saying it doesn’t concern me, because in some way or at some time you may have to deal with it. So I will attempt to paint a picture for you. Railway tracks were made only for the trains to ply on, and nothing else. So any human has absolutely no business being on a railway track, whether a train is passing or not. But it’s a way too common a scene of humans on the track outnumbering the number of trains on them. If we had this track crossing dare in some ‘who dares win’ kind of a global show, we would beat every other foreigner hands down. But jokes apart, if probe into this habit we will see a thread tying all reasons together, it is time. ‘I would be late’ ‘It was the last train’ are the most common refrains, and any body who has spent at least a penny worth of time on time management practices, knows such situations are avoidable, it is just a matter of application of a bit of discipline. Because it makes we wonder whether we Mumbaiker’s are the only people in the whole world who are always late every where or is it that we are really busy, well just leave it here since it is not a point of discussion here. Some go on a record saying ‘I wasn’t late, but the thrill of crossing a track is awesome’, while some are victims of peer pressure, some say it saves time than using FOB (Foot Over Bridge, Hey! That is what railways call it). And after we try to analyze all these expert reasons for using the tracks as an access route, we can surely come to a conclusion that there are far safer alternatives to it. But the question still remains, how can one stop this blatantly executed dangerous activity, well even I am clueless like the railways

(Hope you have a solution, if so do reply), and with them I am praying to whomever it concerns, to put some sense into these fearless dude’s crossing over, till then the crossover saga continues.

No comments: